- 1 cup Swany White cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Swany White flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups oil (or fat, for frying)
If you want to add some additional flavor to these delicious little bites:
Try 2–3 tablespoons onion or fresh ground black pepper black pepper or dash cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce. Play around with different flavor combinations and have fun.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg together with the buttermilk.
- Then slowly stir the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients. The dough should be thick enough to drop from a spoon slowly but easily.
- Now is the time to add any additional ingredients like your onions.
- In a deep, heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat fat or oil for deep frying. The hot liquid should be about 3 inches deep, or deep enough for the hush puppies to float with a temperature of about 370 F.
- Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls into the hot fat and fry until golden brown.
- Remove the hush puppies to paper towels to drain and keep warm while frying the rest.
Makes about 24 hush puppies.